A big weekend lies ahead of us as we psyche ourselves up for the La Sportiva 30k in Helena, Montana! We'll be wheeling across Washington in our new Subaru Outback that replaced our beloved mini van a couple weeks ago. Thankfully Justin is joining us and will be doing most of the driving so Paige and I can study in the car. This is our first trail race on the road so I knew it would be appropriate to make a list of essential items not to leave behind.
1. Wild by Cheryl Strayed: This book was chosen as our next reading piece for our book club and it couldn't be more fitting for the season.
2. Coleman Cooler: Since all of us are stingy health nuts we're packing most of our food for the weekend - gotta keep the farm fresh eggs cool!
3. Zojirushi Thermos: Trust me when I say this is the world's best thermos. When Justin and I camped in the Mojave Desert I would make my morning tea the night before and would wake up to a satisfying hot beverage 8 hours later. I don't know any other thermos that stands up to Zojirushi.
4. Kind Bars: These are my go to snack at the moment. Satisfying and healthy.
5. Ipod Shuffle: Justin has put a few shuffles through the wash and his most recent shuffle was chewed up by a dog we were sitting for, but I'm happy I'll have mine so I can zone out during the 9 hour drive.
6. Plaid Vest: It would be a mistake to grace the mountains of Montana without proper plaid.
7. Memory Foam: An absolute essential when staying in a run down motel. The first review I read on Expedia after booking our room was "Slept on a brick all night."
There will be more to come after the weekend, but until then there will be lots of stretching and packing. Check back soon for a race recap!
My husband and I are outdoor travel junkies who like to spend our free time experiencing nature and new cultures. On Sweet World Travels you will find stories of our adventures, our lives as health care practitioners, and the communities we serve in our travels.